320d engine timing chain problem!!!!

wozzza

Hi I have a 2008, looks like the timing chain has gone but also it has put a hole in the block, anyway looking to change the engine, my car has the N47D20A engine and I am wondering if a later engine will fit from a 2011 car, something like the N47T, or even the n47d20c, any help would be appreciated, Also just wondered what is the difference between the engines?? 

Welcome to the Forum Warren

Sorry to hear of your problem I am not a diesel driver so have little experience.  

As for swapping engines like for like no issue. Other units within the range? while the engine architecture (block, head etc) will be the same or very similar across the N47 range I would do a lot more research to find out if (a) someone else has done it, if so what were the pitfalls they encountered. (b) If possible I would get a different engine complete with all ancillary's and controls units.

For example the DME failed on my X5 it required changes to a new DME, Body Control Unit, Ignition Barrel, Drivers Door lock and of course keys. So a like for like swap may be an easier route.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes

Dave

Cheers Greydog, from the little research I have done it would appear the problem engine ie N47d20A was only put in the cars from around 2008 to 2010 and then changed, don't know if connector blocks etc. fit from a newer car to slightly older car. I would be lifting one out lock stock and barrel with all ancillaries attached and dropping it back into my car, just need to check it can all be put back together ok.   

Hi Warren

I would expect that connector blocks/plugs will be the same it's their position that might vary, even if they don't match as you have access to the donor car wire cutters and a soldering iron may solve the snag. Check the DME part numbers are interchangable in case the engine management function was different (fueling etc) your smart phone is your friend take lots of pictures so you can compare one to the other. Pictures are great when putting stuff back as well, they may even help someone else in your position.

www.realoem.com will give you part number information put the last 7 digits of your Vin in the search box and you will have access to all parts for your car. You can manually search the donor if you don't have the Vin. www.newtis.info is a BMW technical information site the same information as used by BMW Dealers that will help with how too's, torque settings etc.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links