Rain water in boot/trunk on F25

JonSaved

Hi,

I have water leaking into the left side plastic compartment where the wheel key, first aid kit, warning triangle and tool roll is located under the removable panel. It was half full of water so the tool roll was submerged and the first aid kit partially submerged.

I also have rain water in the battery compartment, which was about 3/16” deep.

The water in the plastic compartment appears to be dripping from above, behind the plastic trim but not sure where it is coming from.

I have no idea where the water in the battery compartment is coming from. I do not have a sunroof.

Can anyone help with this? I have looked at the tailgate seal and it looks ok, and also the rubber wiring conduit between the body and the tailgate, which also looks ok. 

Could there be water in the chassis getting into the battery compartment? If so where are the drain holes/bungs?

Thanks in anticipation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 12:18 PM, Tomfromfife said:

Hi,

I have water leaking into the left side plastic compartment where the wheel key, first aid kit, warning triangle and tool roll is located under the removable panel. It was half full of water so the tool roll was submerged and the first aid kit partially submerged.

I also have rain water in the battery compartment, which was about 3/16” deep.

The water in the plastic compartment appears to be dripping from above, behind the plastic trim but not sure where it is coming from.

I have no idea where the water in the battery compartment is coming from. I do not have a sunroof.

Can anyone help with this? I have looked at the tailgate seal and it looks ok, and also the rubber wiring conduit between the body and the tailgate, which also looks ok. 

Could there be water in the chassis getting into the battery compartment? If so where are the drain holes/bungs?

Thanks in anticipation.

Further to my last post , only remove the trim from the left side as that allows the lower sill to be lifted out.

Tailgate seal didn’t fix the water leak. The seal needed replacing anyway but where is the water getting in. I don’t have a sunroof so it’s not drain tubes.

The only thing it could be is the rubber wiring Flexi tube 
It’s not rear light seal as the leak is too high.

Has anyone sealed the Flexi tube where it joins the d pillar with silicone?

Morning Martin

Leaks can be frustrating and difficult to find, I had a windscreen replaced and it leaked result wet drivers carpet eventually found it using water with a dye in it and had to have it refitted.

Around the drivers door I used talcum powder around the door seal and the door membrane so any water would leave a run mark, nothing found that left just the windscreen.

Have you checked the rear side window seals in the luggage area it will be a pain stripping the trim away puff some talc around the seal then hose the outside? From reading your posts that is about all that is left, finger crossed for you.

Dave 

On 1/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, Greydog said:

Morning Martin

Leaks can be frustrating and difficult to find, I had a windscreen replaced and it leaked result wet drivers carpet eventually found it using water with a dye in it and had to have it refitted.

Around the drivers door I used talcum powder around the door seal and the door membrane so any water would leave a run mark, nothing found that left just the windscreen.

Have you checked the rear side window seals in the luggage area it will be a pain stripping the trim away puff some talc around the seal then hose the outside? From reading your posts that is about all that is left, finger crossed for you.

Dave 

Thanks for your input.

It appears that the rain water is getting under the wiring grommet from body to tailgate. Where the grommet enters the D-pillar it is double skin metalwork. It appears that the water is running down between the skins and exiting where the plastic mount for the d-pillar trim is screwed to the d-pillar. I think some careful application of silicone under the grommet will fix it.

The car is going anyway. It’s 5 years old exactly with 43650 on the clock and has whining transmission, noisy turbo and rattling timing chain. All that and a water leak has signed its end.

• 1 month later...