E90 325i camshaft confusion.

Badgerbob

Evening all.

Hoping someone could clarify the camshafts that are suitable for my Beemer.

Long story shot the headgasket had gone so I began to strip the engine down. It was only untill I removed the exhaust cam that both shaft and journals have picked up and are beyond use. 

Having searched the shafts that supposedly should be in my car, I have found 3 versions that are suitable:

Part no 

7550557, 75277601 (older versions)

Now the problem is with the part number of the shafts existent from my engine is different to any of those which has the part number: 7560934

Has my engine been running on the wrong cams all this time or have I been linked to the wrong ones?

Beamers an auto e90 325i m sport manufactured April 2007 (2.5l)

I'd appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this?

Cheers in advance.

Morning Rob

Have you checked www.realoem.com ? Enter the last 7 digits of your Vin, I just had a quick general search and came up with the following,

Part 11317567642 was found on the following vehicles:

I dont know if you have owned your car from new or know it's history but I would be thinking that someone has either changed the head or engine. The part numbers you list seem to point to engines up to mid/late 2006 I would think it unusual for BMW to have engines in stock for 6 months to a year? 

Check out the above site it is a BMW parts site (same as used by Dealers) also www.newtis.info for technical information

Good Luck

Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning.

Apologies for the delay in response and cheers. 

From the realoem site, the camshafts listed/recommended for my car do not match those in my engine and are those listed in my original post (7563665). 

What gets stranger...when I search the part numbers I have on the realoem site. Nothing appears (7560934)?

il be miffed it were the previous owners tampering as I'm second owner having bought the car at 20k miles 😞

Morning Rob

That is very strange I am well aware that BMW used the same Camshafts across a range of models and years (as do many other manufacturers) but to have a part that's not listed anywhere !!! The BMW straight 6 is one of the worlds great engines and renowned for being as tough as old boots so it needing cylinder head work before 20k seems doubtful to me, if however that was the case it would have been (should have been) warranty work at BMW so only genuine parts would have been used most probably a complete cylinder head assembly.

Just asked my neighbour (he works for BMW direct) he has run a check and tells me that was an exhaust camshaft number that has been superseded used where poor fuel quality was an issue. He couldn't answer how it turned up in a European supplied car though, so it seems that cam number is OEM but outdated. 

Good luck with the rebuild

Happy New Year 

Dave

It has me baffled how this has even happened 😞 I have contacted BMW to discuss the issue but obviously this time of year causes some long delays in response. 

I'm assuming they would have records of serial numbers for parts used etc but wether they would be willing to assist at that depth is another question.

For a car that's been good as gold it's certainly thrown up a hidden past. My worry is the engine being swapped out but as you say at such a low mileage why would it be "bodged".

There was no indication of previous work so either it's had some good mechs perform the work or it's from factory 😞

Morning Rob

How weird do the engine numbers match those on the registration docs? If they do then it would seem to me to just be a rogue engine that slipped through their QA program. I say that as not many home engine changers or garages come to that will inform the DVLA  of changes. A cylinder head change or repair would be far more difficult to trace unless there are stamps/invoices in the log book or history, certainly if it was BMW warranty work they should have a record you would think.

At least rebuilding the head yourself you know it is all as it should be.

Dave 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links