Key/car memory

allante666

Hi All. Just found this forum. I have a 05 X5 4.8is. I used to have a 740 and had and used all the DIS software etc to activate various options and read codes etc but that was a long time ago ad Ive forgotten most of it!  Can someone tell me what I need to program the seat/mirror settings into two different keys?  Also what to use to deactivate the daytime driving lights?  TIA. Andy

Morning Andy

Welcome to the forum, you will need to open the ZKE (Central Body Electronics) folder and check first that the key is activated in the program then with the key in the ignition set the key up using the the seat memory buttons. DLR's are I think in the LCM folder all tick box programming.

Good Luck let us know how you get on

Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for your reply. I haven’t even looked for my software yet but I seem to think I have dis 44 and maybe 57? I also have sss which I don’t think I ever installed. Which do you recommend? And does the 05 x5 still have the big round socket or is it an obd lead now? I still have my round lead somewhere. Can’t check on anything at the minute as the missus has taken it to work. (The car, not the lead!). It’s been nearly ten years since I did any of this! 

Afternoon Andy 

You could try setting up everything for you on one key saving it in the seat memory 1 then lock the car, unlock with the other key and repeat on memory 2  for SWIMBO see if that works.

I have Inpa and BMW 1.4.0 loaded on an old laptop I tend to use 1.4.0 as I find it is much more user friendly and fine up to around 2006 2008 MY all models. You won't need the round adapter as it is straight OBD beneath the steering wheel above the accelerator you will see the little cover/door.

I use www.realoem.com for parts information and basic drawings then www.newtis.com it is the same information dealers use for maintenance information and how too's BMW have tried hard but not defeated me yet !!

Enjoy

Dave

Hi Dave. I tried doing the keys as you said but it doesn’t seem to do anything different when I try setting different positions on to the other key. It says in the user manual that you need to have it set up by your main dealer which is why I assumed it wasn’t user programmable?  I seem to think when I had my 740 it could be set up by the owner.  So regards dis etc, would you prefer dis over sss? Isn’t sss more in depth coding stuff? I have various leads but I think the only usb one I have is for a Vauxhall. I notice there’s quite a few on eBay, is there any particular one I should go for? 

Morning Andy 

Oh well worth a try just in case it had been enabled and not used.

I would check out that well known auction site for a BMW DIS lead probably about £20. All the manufacturers are the same !! charge an hour minimum + for something that is essentially a tick box operation to enable/disable a function. It's worse when you consider they often have the car plugged in for service anyway.

If you get stuck I have an INPA lead somewhere in the garage 

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Im going to have to venture into the loft and sort out exactly what leads and software I have I think.  However it seems I now have a more pressing problem! I went out to it last night and noticed the front left corner had dropped right down. Without looking in depth (as its currently raining!) Im guessing its an airbag gone. the bag is deflated but inflates back up when the car is started. no error messages though. The compressor runs for a few minutes then stops for a couple of miles and then runs for 30 seconds or so every few miles. When I stop and switch off I can hear a hissing at the wheel and the bag slowly deflates so Im guessing that its not a big gaping hole but still a leak. Im not putting my hand up to feel if its leaking at the pipe just in case it collapses on my arm but I dont suppose the pipe union leaking is very common compared to a split bag? Unless theres something obvious Im missing Ill get a new strut ordered. looks like they are pretty straightforward to change. At the moment I dont need the car for long journeys but if the compressor starts running for a long time Ill stop using it. I know they can burn out with over use and the one on my car is a new one. The previous owner had it replaced and also gave me two second hand ones as spares (must have been expecting trouble!)

So regards the key, I need to 'activate' the key to allow it to be programmed by the car yes?  The other question I have is that I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 and I have it set so that when you switch off the ignition, the drivers seat moves right back to make it easy to get out. I notice the X5 does a similar thing with the steering wheel  but is there an option to make the seat move back as well??

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy 

Airbags are quite a well known issue not a difficult job to change be careful of the ride height sensor. The airbags are plentiful and not to expensive, BMW are known to change a single airbag as they do perish and crack if it were me I would change both to be sure. I brush mine with soapy water couple of times a year and look for bubbles (mine is rear only) 

Not sure about the seat options with the 4.8 but with mine there are a series of check boxes which I checked and could set the key memory plus speed that anti hi jack locks the doors whether all doors or just the drivers door opens on the first press of the fob second press all doors beep or flash on unlock. are just some of the things from memory but I dont recall a seat setting to move the seat back sorry, though yours is the more modern version, who knows.

Good Luck

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll have another look at the key stuff when Ive got this strut changed. I have only ordered one (full strut not just bag) but figured it looks pretty easy so if the other side one goes at some point its only an afternoons job to do it as well. Figured I might as well change the whole strut as apart from it being quicker, it also means the shock is unlikely to expire during my ownership! Thanks for your help, Ill probably give you a shout back when I eventually find my leads and discs etc. BTW are you in the UK or States?