Cooling

Bmw2009

Hi - i just changed the radiator and coolant. The needle on the temp guage sits at 90 (halfway mark or 12 o clock), however the obd2 scan tools shows the fan kicking in at 97 deg c. So is there anything wrong with this ? Is it meant to be like this ? To me it appears the needle on dash is a dummy.

Thanks

John

Morning John 

Welcome to the Forum, the gauge will move but temperature will be at boiling or above (it's under pressure) to make it happen. You have two temp sensors (if memory serves) plus one linked to the aux/AC fan the gauge takes an average I was once told by a BMW Master Tech.

So in answer to your question gauge reading half way is normal mine is exactly the same when I checked with an infra red thermometer on the hose 94 deg C

Dave

Hi John...welcome to the Forum

As Dave has already mentioned, the temperature you are reading is perfectly normal but if it does suddenly rise then you could have air in the system.

Some BMW engines had a small bleed screw on the thermostat housing area which you could extract any trapped air from.

Also, sometimes the impeller on the water pump parts company and this can also lead to a temperature increase.

Cheers,   Trevor

Thanks Dave and Trevor. 

So just to confirm, my fan kicks in at 97 deg c (obd2 scanner reading) and needle is sitting firmly at 90. Also no coolant warning light or code comes up on dash or on obd2 scanner. The heater is blowing hot air. 

Its just i am taking the car to France next week with family which makes me nervous. 

Morning John

If you have no leaks and coolant at the correct level it should be fine if your concerned you can get thermostats that open at 88 deg. Sometimes when we have had to work on the car and have parts replaced we suffer that horrible uncertainty until we trust it again (been there) 

Try and enjoy the trip

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links