E81 Rubbling/Vibration feedback, Bluetooth Installation & Coding Question

DANHAN30

Good Afternoon All..

So, wondering if anyone out there can help with a really frustrating issue around vibration feedback from an E81 2008 118D M-Sport with 55k miles.

In the last 2-3 weeks I've felt a strange rumbling noise feedback from the steering wheel and one day back from work I had a near miss, braked hard and heard a bit of a nasty loud what I can only think of calling an alignment/tyre rumble. I immediately checked the tyres which where a bit low and took to my local tyre garage who suggested away from alignment and suggested just re-balancing the wheels (only one front wheel was corrected), but didn't even check if the alignment was out... they where busy and I think they thought I was trying to get everything done for free since they replaced my tyres but was happy to pay. Needless to say, although it was slightly better there was still this rumble. The last time I went there BTW I had front tyres replaced with part worn replacements however have had no issue with these before when using part worn.

I travel a lot as part of my job (300+ miles a week) so have had time to try and replicate the rumble, which seems to be completely random, so far the following seems to be the only thing I can make out about the issue:

Seems to happen randomly, sometimes nothing at all other times sounding much louder (but certainly no grinding/metal on metal sounds)

At any speed, sounds like a deep hum at low speeds and an on/off rumble at higher speeds however again not all the time, maybe 25% of the time I drive

No worse over bumps or corners, nothing seems to make it start when doing something deliberate (changing lanes or braking etc)

No squeaking/typical bearing grinding at all at any speed

Seems to be a strange clicking or clunk noise (very very quiet) when setting off in reverse or forward after car has been idle/from cold (only once then not again while stop/starting)

Seems to continue when I engage the clutch and coast at any speed, making me think it may be more alignment/toe/bearing (but no noise when moving from any wheel)

The vibration isn't anything severe otherwise I would have taken it straight to the garage or if like a bearing I've had replaced on an older car I owned there's no noise as I mentioned above and there is my issue... Do I get the tracking/alignment done and waste £40+ if this isn't it, spend £80+ at a garage to have them tell me they cant find any fault or its not an issue or even worse charge me £250+ to replace bearings and it not be that or try different tyres in case this is contributing? I've just had a service 2-3 months ago where coolant, brake fluid, front disks (which the tyre garage suggested the discs could be warped but again they just guessed this) where replaced, then the normal oil, oil filter etc however I have no idea if any of those could help?

SECONDLY,

Am I dreaming or did I see there is a module you can add to the E81 to gain Bluetooth on the standard Business CD stereo? Is this plug n play or is coding needed etc?

LASTLY...

I really wanted to get some coding done for the E81 (simple stuff like alarm chip on locking and some light MODs) however everywhere I seem to ask for more info either don't get back to me or say its not available however the Carli for E81 seems to have quite a few options however I'd have to buy it to find out? Anyone out there who can do it for me rather than me have to buy a 1 use product before it goes it a drawer for the rest of its life?

Any ideas out there?

Appreciate any ideas of advice to check or monitor in case it gets worse...

Dan

Hi Dan

Sounds to me like its the tyre compound (e.g. hard compound) which is transmitting road noise through to the car.

A way of determining this is if you travel the same bit of road each day that enhances the noise then it disappears on other surfaces then maybe this is the case?

Otherwise, if there is undue noise and clunking when pulling away then I would also check out the engine mountings as these could also transmit a rumbling noise through to the cabin.

Let us know how it all transpires as it would be nice to know the outcome

Cheers,   Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for replying... I really wish it was as simple as tyres or tracking but I's so random it really doesn't help.

It is definitely not a noise that is constant through the same road types, I thought this before and tested it as possible reason but it really seems like the issue is very random... I'd prefer if it was constant, unfortunately for me it looks like I will have to get the garage to have a look and sting me for whatever they deem the issue. It also doesn't help my 118D has had a fairly loud exhaust/engine noise and car can move from side to side under heavy revving so understand the engine mount as a possible issue however again owning many cars before I'd have thought there would be some knocking or more constant issue rather than just some of the time.

I'm actually wondering whether its something to do with the heat shield around the calipers at the front and I know when I bought the car these had to be adjusted as they where rubbing but again it makes no sense about being random, either that or maybe just needs aligning but again don't understand why no rumble all the time. I may call a mate of a mate who I have always trusted to do the simple work like brakes and servicing and give it to him for a few days and see what he can find, at the moment the only thing it seems to affect if the driving experience and the mileage also seems to have taken a bit of a beating as it seems to be running a little inefficient, could it be the fuel pump?!? Just seems odd that it hasn't got worse or more constant, currently have no idea what sets it off or stops it either so still just as frustrating especially bearing in mind we're talking a 55k mile car.

I'm keep you informed when I get my mate to give it the once over...

Dan

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links