Diagnostic hardware and software

Hi again everyone I have been absent for approx 8 years but have now returned to the fold with a 2008 E61 520D touring which has come to me with 1 key green log book slip and MOT and 152k on the clock so as you can imagine I need to get to grips with it, my question is can anyone recommend a reasonably priced BMW specific diagnostic software system with the correct cable that is also simple to use as I am no tech whizz kid, I have looked on ebay and there are thousands advertised but most look to be absolutely lacking in after sales support which with my technical experience is a must many thanks Chris

Hi Christopher....welcome to the Club

There are so many out there....here's a couple of links for the cheaper ones, which although they do work for pulling out codes and cancelling them down, they do lack a lot of other functions.

This one seems quite good, although I haven't tried it but it boasts quite a few features:   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MVDIAG-BLUETOOTH-USB-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-OBD-SCANNER-AUDI-BMW-SKODA-VW-MERCEDE/263529694166?hash=item3d5b9803d6:g:2OUAAOSwcaFZEMnd

This one I can vouch for and is a great piece of kit for the money   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-ICARSOFT-BMM-V2-0-BMW-MINI-OBD2-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-FAULT-CODE-SCANNER-TOOL/283009962052?epid=21018638200&hash=item41e4b55044:g:ufQAAOSwH9tbSjzt

Let us know how you get on and what you end up buying

Morning Chris

Welcome, I have 2 pieces of software loaded on an old laptop

1st. BMW 1.4.0 works really well allows interrogation of individual control modules and the fault is described in English not just a code number. Cost £14 from Ebay and is great for older models. Example my parking sensors stopped working a scan with 1.4.0 showed PDC 1 error when interrogated the fault is Rear inner right sensor fault.

2nd.. Inpa which came with 5 disc's including TIS the dealer level technical files, I have this on the same lap top this cost about £50 from memory brilliant for the newer models but has stuff for my X5 as well.

There are many others like Carly which works with a Bluetooth dongle (never tried it but read some poor reviews so avoided)

I use mine in conjunction with a couple of web sites like www.realoem.com (BMW online parts and part numbers) and www.newtis.net technical information sheets this makes sure when I am buying parts they match the OEM partnumbers plus the drawings let me know what i looks like and where it is.

Good luck with the new car

Dave

great information Dave....I'm after some newer scan tools as my set is the old round plug models that still work on my Z3 but has limited data through the K-line.

Will probably give the v1.4.0 a try if you rate it and at that price it's worth a punt.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V1-4-0-OBD2-Diagnostic-Scan-Interface-Scanner-Programmer-For-BMW-E38-E39-E46-E53/323235896567?hash=item4b425c5cf7:g:108AAOSwX3Fa6Sl5