Old Z3 needs professional restoration , Sussex

MACS

Good morning.  I have an old Z3, which I bought a couple of years ago but has sat in my garage ever since.  The car needs a big overhaul - the engine, new soft top roof and so on.  Does anyone have any contacts for professional restorers in or around Sussex who might make a decent job of this?  It's a bigger job than just taking it to my local MOT garage.  Thank you!

Hi Michael....welcome to the Forum

What is wrong with the engine and what size is it?

I would be tempted to break down the task individually, e.g. take the car to a garage for the engine to be sorted and then MOT it whilst there, then take it to a Trimmers for them to sort the roof. I think you'll find that a restoration company would only outsource the engine work, trimming and even the MOT so why not organise those jobs yourself and save loads of money in the process.

Let us know how it all progresses as have the same car sat in my garage for the last couple of years

Cheers,  Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The engine capacity is 01895.  As to the problems - I shut it in the garage a couple of years ago because it wouldn't start a lot of the time.  I did take it to a mechanic but he failed to fix this and then I just got bored of it being problematic. 

I will think about your advice to break down the work - although I have just heard of a place in Horsham that might be able to help me - I'm waiting to find out more details.  I'll let you know how I get on.  

Cheers, Michael. 

Morning Micheal

You could try Andy Walker "Walkers Autotech" he's at Wisborough Green. He is an ex BMW man who specializes in all things BMW & Porsche, I am sure he would work with you to prioritize a repair list and cost it.

Good Luck

Dave

• 2 weeks later...