Timing chain questions

Frankie3125

Hi guys got a question to ask as I know the n47 has timing chain issues!! Mine has started to make a noise on start up for about 3 seconds and then go away? So I’m sure it’s the start.... I’ve located the timing chain kit and the timing tools but just wanted to know if it’s easier to remove engine or gearbox?? Any suggestions would be great and hope to hear more from you.. sorry I’m new and this is my first post 😬

If memory serves the timing chains are at the rear of N47 engine so I would think engine out job. Whether you pull the box with it will be personal choice and the availability of lifting equipment.

Have you looked at www.realoem,com it's an online BMW parts catalogue that has some exploded drawings that will give you clues to help with the rebuild.

Good luck with the rebuild, lets hope it goes smoothly for you

Hi thanks for getting back to me... I’m in the process of removing engine just got a few more thing to disconnect then the engine will be free, but I have notice that the bottom pulley has broken up as well ?? So maybe that was my noise but I’m still going to put a timing chain on the car for peace of mind👍🏻 

The crank pulley/vibration damper is a common failure (not just BMW) the rubber insert between the two parts degrades and breaks up making it wobble about it can make some scary noises(personal experience). normally accompanied by belt squeaks and squeals.

When I replaced mine on the 4.6 it was worrying that the manufacturer only gives 24 months warranty !! Still the original (same manufacturer) had lasted 12 years or so.

Good Luck with the engine work

Dave