help - no restart after warm

rusty satterfield

any help would be great - 2004 x5 140000 miles. runs super. starts easy, no codes or check engine lights- drive the x5 and it will restart perfect, let it set 1 hour and cranks but no start, wait 30 minutes and it starts ok , have checked when it does not start - fuel pressure, injector pulse, spark to plugs, compression, all ok ,   also installed remanufactured injectors  - has been doing this for 6 months

Hi Rusty and welcome to the forum

You have posted in the 5 series slot maybe Trevor can move it to the X5 slot?

Which engine 3.0, 4.4, 4.6 or early 4.8? Has the fuel filter been changed they often aren't due to being a PITA to get at. Starter motors are also a known issue when they begin to fail they draw massive current so check for loose connections at the starter or heat. Also when it refuses to start have you tried moving the Gear selector to Neutral in case it's an inhibitor switch issue, ignition switches have also been known to cause starting problems. Just my initial thoughts, but I would start with the easy to get at stuff (Gear selector)  change keys if you have a spare?

Hope this helps

Dave

thanks for the reply , it is a 4.4 , in the last 6 months i have also replaced fuel pump, fuel regulator/filter , battery , starter , ignition switch , not sure but if the gear selector was going bad would it still crank over? my car does crank okay just no start , i dont have a spare key but this only happens after driving than it has to sit for approx. 45 minutes to not start, not sure if key would react at first starts or after driving , thought for sure it was injectors leaking and flooding but replaced them , pulled them back out and had them rechecked and reinstalled , no good. Maybe a map sensor, crank sensor , cam sensor ? it runs perfect , and shows no codes?

i am lost - thanks again for the reply

rusty

Wow, now you know why BMW stands for breaks my wallet ! It doesn't sound as though you have much left to change. When you say it shows no codes what reader are you using? Is it BMW specific like INPA or 1.4.0 many generic readers cant see all the control modules I brought BMW 1.4.0 and put it on an old laptop. When I had my 4.4 my generic reader showed no codes most will only see a code if the CEL has been triggered but 1.4.0 showed codes in all sorts of places. On the 4.4 I had a misfire the car also had LPG fitted just to confuse the issue like you I had no codes showing so worked through all the usual suspects then got 1.4.0 and first scan showed all sorts of issues cleared them all down and the first one back in my case was MAF first step was clean it with carb cleaner next was the connector cleaned with contact cleaner BINGO no more codes. 

When you changed the starter was it second hand or refurb? The Magnetti Mareli starter is known to cause high current draw problems engine cranks but no start and kills the battery.

If your in the South East happy to meet and plug in the laptop