Cold weather

Hi guys n gals, I am currently having a problem with the cold weather affecting the car's door locks ( 3.0 sd) when the temp drops the doors freeze the handles become stiff but will open, once open they won't close they just bounce off the door catch and won't close securely until the car heats up. Plenty of power in battery as car starts every time with no problems. Has anyone had these problems? ? Thanks in advance guys👍

A not uncommon problem condensation inside the door causes the actual lock mechanism to seize up. Take off the door card an carefully peel back the moisture barrier you should be able to see the wire operating rod going down to the door side where the lock mechanism is located I sprayed mine with good old WD40 then worked iy until free then spray grease and its been OK for the last couple of years.

A word of caution if someone has been there before and the moisture barrier is damaged or torn make sure you repair it with tape any splits can allow water into the car (wet carpets)

16 hours ago, Greydog said:

A not uncommon problem condensation inside the door causes the actual lock mechanism to seize up. Take off the door card an carefully peel back the moisture barrier you should be able to see the wire operating rod going down to the door side where the lock mechanism is located I sprayed mine with good old WD40 then worked iy until free then spray grease and its been OK for the last couple of years.

A word of caution if someone has been there before and the moisture barrier is damaged or torn make sure you repair it with tape any splits can allow water into the car (wet carpets)

Thanks very much Dave I'll give bit a try.

14 hours ago, Greydog said:

Morning Mark

Looking at the news and weather today if your OOOP North you have a good oportunity to test the fix !!!

Dave

Hi Dave, the weather up here in sunny scotland is a wee bit cold😉 no change there😀 we've got about 5" of snow and the car has behaved perfectly  it's great to just jump in and know the 4 wheel drive will get you anywhere. I had an insignia before this and can't believe the difference.  Thanks again Dave for your help m8

12 hours ago, Trevor said:

Certainly cold enough this morning...we actually had a smattering of snow this morning....first time in 5 years that sunny Bournemouth has had snow.

Hi Trevor, your a lucky man we're up to 5" at the moment and expecting another heavy fall tonight, thank God for heated seats😉.

• 1 month later...

Still far too cold where I am, I've had to get some graphite key spray to stop mine freezing over!

Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : sales@tmsmotorsport.co.uk

whatsapp-25px.png
WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport – FERODO PADS – BUY ONLINE

-   We ship worldwide to your door  -

-  Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza  - Honda S2000 -

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links