Loss of power

Dazza1

hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me identify a problem with my 2013 1 series.

I was driving and went thought a puddle (didn't see it and it wasn't big) and noticed the drive was lost momentarily.  The power fell away for a few seconds at most and drove fine after -  almost like the water got onto a belt which slipped and then the water was burnt off?  No sound of a belt slipping or similar though.

I've now noticed this twice now but my local BMW garage hasn't had any experience of it and I'm not keen to give the car to them to investigate (in fear of having a big bill).  Has anyone experienced a similar issue or know what could have caused the loss of power?  I thought the 1 series had drive chains (please let me know if I'm wrong) so it can't be a belt issue, can it?

thanks for your replies in advance.

Daz

Hi Daz

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it may be a case of the engine suffering a hydraulic lock (this is where the engine sucks up the water through the inlet and when all the valves are closed the piston comes up and hits the water in the cylinder....as water cannot be compressed it then bends the con-rod).

An easy way to check this would be to carry out a compression test on the cylinders and if one (or more) is low then this is the situation.

However,  I have dealt with many water ingestion faults over the years and it is something that the insurance company will pay out for if you have comprehensive cover so worth having it checked first and then maybe contact your insurance company.

Let us know how you get on 

Cheers,   Trevor

hi Trevor,

Thank you for your reply. 

I hadn't though of the water getting as far as the cylinder.  It was such a small puddle and given its size, and my slow speed, I would have thought it would be a more common problem if it ? Could it be that the power is dipping due to a lack of air being pulled through?

Thank you

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links