Tyre rumble

I have 2015 X3 (F25) 2.0d, after 12k miles I started to get tyre rumble. The dealership advised it was due to the Goodyear tyres supplied from the states and suggested changing them to Pirelli's, the old tyres still had many miles of wear but decided to change them as the rumble became annoying. Another 12k miles later and the Perilli's are now starting to create a rumble and again have still many miles of wear left. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you change the tyres to to solve the problem, appreciate any suggestions. 

Hi Ray...welcome to the Forum

Not entirely sure what is causing a rumble but I would certainly be looking for any signs of abnormal tyre wear but otherwise, it may be worth looking up some of the tyre websites that publish noise levels for different tyres and change to something with a lower rating...either that or turn up the stereo.

Also, just a thought but maybe worth checking tyre pressures when cold to ensure they are not too high.

Cheers,  Trevor

On 11/2/2017 at 2:46 PM, Trevor said:

Hi Ray...welcome to the Forum

Not entirely sure what is causing a rumble but I would certainly be looking for any signs of abnormal tyre wear but otherwise, it may be worth looking up some of the tyre websites that publish noise levels for different tyres and change to something with a lower rating...either that or turn up the stereo.

Also, just a thought but maybe worth checking tyre pressures when cold to ensure they are not too high.

Cheers,  Trevor

Thanks for the welcome Trevor, will certainly look up other tyre options. Main thing was to find out if anyone else had the same issue with tyre rumble, be interesting to see if I get any other responses but in the meantime the tyre websites are the way to go.Thanks again for your help, cheers Ray

On 11/3/2017 at 7:43 AM, Greydog said:

Runflat tyres ? Hard side walls there are many posts on other sights stating harsh ride, road noise etc from runflat tyres 

Yes, runflats. Wanted to see if anyone else was or had experienced the same problem and how they resolved it. Many thanks for your prompt response. Ray

Depending where you are in the country someone may have a set of winter wheels/tyres that you could try. I have a set of 18" fitted with Wintrac extreme non runflat not sure if they would fit the F25 though?

Due to the young age of your X3 you may compromise warranty if it turns up at the dealer with "non standard" tyres fitted. With my X5 the tyres are low profile and are harsh and noisy on all but the very best surfaces the winter wheel have a deeper side wall and noticeably quieter and less harsh. Check out ebay I brought my winters from there with tyres fitted for just over £200,  worth a consideration and if it fixes the problem you can then measure ride comfort against the warranty risk should there be a drive train issue.

• 3 months later...

Greydog they can't invalidate your warranty for non-standard tyres :P If both sets have acted the same I'd look at my alignment, pressures, how often pressures are checked, driving style etc just to rule out causes for it developing a rumble / going out of shape 

Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : sales@tmsmotorsport.co.uk

whatsapp-25px.png
WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport – FERODO PADS – BUY ONLINE

-   We ship worldwide to your door  -

-  Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza  - Honda S2000 -

Thanks Moff, I'm new to run flats and had assumed (wrongly) that any change in tyre pressure would show on the display. I've now been told by my local dealer that I need to check pressure every month (to be honest they were all different), pity he didn't advise me this when I splashed out a the last new set, I have now made this a monthly job so lets hope the next set doesn't go the same way. Thanks for the info.

It is well documented on many other sites here and in the USA that the run flats give a harsh noisy ride causing many to buy non run flat replacements to try and improve the ride. It is also well documented that should drive train damage occur due to incorrect tyres being fitted the manufacture warranty is void. BMW Mercedes and other well known 4x4 manufacturers state "rated tyres" only. They have agreements with tyre manufacturers such as Michelin Pirreli who mark the side wall. BMW state * rated tyres only in the recommended sizes for their 4x4 cars even more critical with X drive cars or transmission wind up is likely to occur which can cause transfer box and or diff damage.  My X5 is old but still under extended warranty when I had chain guide failure a full engine rebuild was required the warranty covered 70% of parts and all the labour on a bill just under £6k! Would I gamble that a few hundred quid against giving wriggle room to the warranty company? All the time you are arguing the car is off the road and if it got messy and legal cost just goes up, we pay our money and we make our choices.

By the way I don't use a BMW Dealer for servicing he also carried out the engine rebuild.

BMW X5 and X3 tend to have have a staggered set up (wider rear wheels tyres) and with the X drive rolling circumference is critical, I had an almost new set of none * star rated tyres fitted and was getting signs of wind up in the transmission (jerking and noise of full lock) After reading on one of the US sites I parked on level ground and made a chalk mark on the tyres front and rear rolled the car forward one revolution of the rear tyre the front hadn't completed a revolution about 50mm short. Fitted a set of * rated Pirreli tyres and no issues the chalk marks were within a couple of mm. My tyres are 20" 285 front 315 rear and not run flat the ride is still quite harsh, my winter set by comparison are 18" 255 non staggered all round and much better ride