Brown froth in coolant

Jm123

Afternoon all,

We bought a second used x3 three days ago and the coolant light flashed up this morning so I went bought some. I unscrewed the cap and noticed a whole load of frothy brown stuff at the top which I'm pretty sure is oil. Also, it didn't take that much coolant in either which has made my concerns even greater.

Has anyone any ideas on this or, anywhere else I can look to double check any problems?

Thanks in advance!

Does  the car have a good history? Main Dealer or Independent ? It could be some one topped up the header tank with a dirty funnel or jug, happened to me at a Mercedes Dealer drove the dealer mad trying to understand why. A coolant flush and refill fixed it they could only surmise an apprentice had put coolant into a pouring jug used for topping up oil!!

Then on the down side head gasket !! get tested quick. I would be talking to the seller if it's a dealer and getting them to repair it, if its a private sale I would try for a contribution at least. On the coolant level warning I just had to replace the sender on my X5 after several low coolant warnings but no top up needed.

Fingers crossed for you Jim 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links