How can I restore black plastic trim?

The satin black edge and bracket areas of my otherwise body-coloured door mirror housings have, over a few years, faded to a milky grey as a result of UV exposure. As the rest of the car finish remains in excellent condition, I am seeking a way of restoring the black colour of these plastic trim areas. I have tried several 'Back to Black'-type preparations from Halfords here in the UK but none has made any difference whatsoever.  Any suggestions (other than simply living with the colour change) would be most welcome.  Many thanks! :smile:

If you have a heat gun try this, make sure the gun is on a low setting and never have it stationary on the plastic trim. Warm the trim and wipe it with a clean cloth. Warming brings out the oils in the plastic you will see a lot of gunk removed (old polish and plastic treatments) you can normally bring back most black plastic trim parts unless they are really badly stained.

REMEMBER if you leave the heat in one spot you will possibly warp or damage the trim so don't rush it, in the case of heat on plastic more isn't good

• Like 1

Thank you very much, Greydog, for this suggestion. I don't have a heat gun myself but think I could borrow one from a friend of mine. If so, I'll give it a go - very slowly and carefully - and will also be sure to avoid the colour-keyed areas of the mirror housing!!  Best regards.

Just be sure that the area you want to restore is raw ABS plastic not painted or dipped if it has been coated it wont work. If it is plastic then mask off the painted are to protect it 

Thanks again, Greydog. If I can borrow the heat gun, I'll be sure to mask painted areas thoroughly and play the heat carefully only over the uncoated ABS areas. Just a quick associated query - have you heard of or tried a product called 'Solution Finish. Black Trim Restorer'? (It's had v. good reviews on YouTube and elsewhere and is manufactured on a relatively small scale in Long Beach, US.)  BW, William.