Run flat tyre wear

Hi I have been driving my BMW 1 series M sport for a year and its needing new tyres on the back after just 13,000 miles! They were new when I purchased the car.The tyres are Bridgestone 245/35/18 run flats.  Please can any one help to tell me if this is normal to need new tyres so soon! Thanks 

Morning Emma and Welcome

So many things have an effect on tyre life not least of which is driving style but will include tyre pressure, suspension set up and condition. Is the wear even across the tread? If it is then the answer may be in your right shoe!! If wear is uneven both edges worn shows under inflated and centre tread wear shows over inflated, If wear is on one edge then I would look at the suspension bushes and alignment all sorts of things will have an effect here from pot holes to general wear.

The X5's are well known for chewing up tyres but with suspension in good condition I normally get around 20k + miles from a set of tyres

Hope this helps

Hi thank you for your thoughts. The wear is apparently fairly even but slightly to the outside edges. I'm keen to get new tyres on but just wanted to source any problems, if any, before I do. From experience is there a particular brand of tyre that is better than another? 

Thanks again, 

Emma 

Hi Emma

Personal preference for me is to have the same Brand tyres front and rear do you have Bridgestone's on the front? Also as you currently have run flats that will restrict choice some what, you can run non run flat tyres quite safely which would widen your choice in available tyres and price. Good luck 

Hi thanks again for your reply. I have 4 Bridgestones on at the moment, so would be inclined to replace with Bridgestones. I have done a bit of reading around changing from run flats but find it is advisable to keep the run flats as the car is set up for these. I'm not sure how true this is and wonder if non run flats would be fine. This would save about £30 a tyre. 

Emma 

Run flat tyres have a very stiff sidewall ( to support the weight if they are punctured) I have read and been told by others who have had them this can make the ride quite harsh. As I run an X5 on 20" wheels with low profile tyres and sport suspension I understand harsh and my tyres are not runflat!! I guess you dont have a spare just a can of sealant and a small compressor ( the X5 has a staggered set up and the spare looks like a bicycle wheel) touch wood I have never had to use it I have used the can of sealant and the compressor though.Many X5 drivers who's cars  were fitted with run flats have changed to non runflat some quoting ride quality many quoting range available and price.

So as far as I can tell the only major difference between runflat and non runflat is range available and price there seems to be no safety issue I have read about.

As they say we pay our money and make the choice make sure when you get the tyres fitted you get a full alignment done to help make sure you you get the best from the tyres

• 2 years later...