Blue tooth

Harveyone

There is a procedure for clearing the memory of the bluetooth unit if there are 4 previous phones still registered it wont pair. Sorry can't remember the sequence to clear it I use BMW 1.4.0 software for diagnostics and access it through there if your in Sussex happy to help if I can. 

My faithful old HTC pairs and works fine with the BMW unit however my wife's Samsung and sons Nokia will only partially work (no phone book and sometimes flaky connection) After a lot of research online and digging I discovered that the more modern android phones (last 4 to 5 years) the Bluetooth signal power is reduced to preserve power. Add that to the fact that the bluetooth antenna in the BMW is hidden in the left cubby in the boot so I experimented and placed the wife's phone in the boot still no phone book but a better reliable connection.

My solution is I fitted a Nokia voice activated bluetooth unit which is completley hidden and tapped into the BMW mike now my wife can make and recieve calls if she is using the X5 me well my old HTC just soldiers on and still connects with no issues to the original in car system and if I ever upgrade there is the Nokia system in place

• 3 months later...

First make sure you are using the pairing button under the arm rest the steering wheel voice button will not work. It may be that 4 phones have been registered which will block the system from pairing any others. 

There is a sequence for clearing the paired memory but you will have to google that. I use BMW 1.4.0 software on an old laptop so it's simple to access the bluetooth unit and pair or clear down entries.

My wifes Samsung we could get it to pair but it would never transfer the phonebook 

Thanks I have gone through the sequence of button under armrest etc several times. Also removed 3 fuses and left for 30 minutes. Still can't get it to go into pairing mode. Anybody know the sequence to clear Bluetooth memory  please 

Hi Philip

First do you see the telephone function on the OBC screen? 

Second have you checked the ULF unit in the boot left hand side under the floor. If it's there try unplugging it and leaving it for 10 mins then reconnecting it.

If you have done both of the above it may be you have a faulty ULF 

for the record this is the correct delete procedure

Deleting all devices
You can delete your mobile phone if you no longer wish to operate it from the vehicle. This process deletes all mobile phones which have been paired.

1. Press & hold the button call button (the one with the face profile on it), then after about 3 seconds turn the ignition key to position 1 and release the button after approximately 3 seconds. "BLUETOOTH PAIRING" appears on the display or monitor.

2. Press the button again for approx. 10 seconds until you hear a triple acoustic signal. "PAIRED DEVICES DELETED" appears on the display or monitor.

3. To conclude the deleting process, turn the ignition key to position 0.

All mobile phones that were originally paired are now deleted.