Sunroof explodes whitest traveling at 70mph on open road no other traffic and nothing overhead.

This is a brand new X5 4.0Xdrive M and BMW's response is that they have no record of this happening to other X5's.....

This I know is rubbish as it happened to my first X5 in exactly the same circumstances 

Although I have supported BMW (this is the 3rd new X5) it seems it's a one way street, although a call back from a manager at there customer service has been requested they refuse with no explanation total lack of professionalism lost all faith.

They seem very quick to dismiss without taking into account any specific circumstances, a very illogical approach and a "big boy" dismissing attitude.

Please post any similar incidents so I can build evidence and a case

When looking on the web there are some very interesting cases worldwide 

image.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow sounds like a brown trouser event, not nice at all. Did you get anywhere with BMW?

When researching to buy my X5 it was the sun roof issue's (failure to operate) that steered me away from sunroof equipped cars. My E53 4.6 has no sun roof neither did the previous X5.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I am in Florida in the US. My 2016 X5 sunroof exploded very much under the same circumstances just last week. I have just at 8,000 miles on the car. I was travelling 60 mph, beautiful weather, open road, no vehicles around, no overpasses, etc. We heard what sounded like a gunshot, then the shattered glass rained down upon us. We then noticed an odd smell, like after a match has been lit or after a firecracker goes off; sort of a sulphur smell.  BMW dealership is taking no responsibility whatsoever. They state that there must have been a small fracture from a previous projectile that caused the explosive incident. Even when presented with information to the contrary (class action law suits, etc.) they will not budge.  I am left having to file an insurance claim for the repairs. 

BMW.JPG

BMW 2.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well it happened to me today. Woke up this morning to find my 1 month old 2017 X5 sitting in my driveway with an exploded sunroof. Called BMW connected, they sent a tow truck, now waiting on what they say.... I took a bunch of pictures showing how it looked like a volcano erupted inside my car. I'll keep everyone posted as to what happens next...  I'm in NYC USA

BMW1IMG_1302.JPG

BMW2IMG_1296.JPG

BMW3IMG_1301.JPG

BMW4IMG_1293.JPG

BMW5IMG_1299.JPG

Edited by Robtb27
Added location

• 5 years later...

Exact same event on '23 X5.  It sounded like a gunshot.  No traffic on the road, no sign of an impact.  If I had passengers in the back seat they would've been injured by flying glass.  I had to brush all sorts of glass flakes off myself.   BMW has told me they're not responsible.   This is a safety issue!

Hi Scott

Welcome to the Forum

Over the years there have been quite a few posts on several Forums documenting these incidents personally I don't see how BMW can wash their hands of this.

On my 3rd X5 and none of mine have had Sun Roofs by choice due to the issues with their operation in the E53 

Good luck in getting a sensible conclusion (ie They replace under warranty) perhaps a case for Rogue Traders ?

Dave 

These incidents 

Does anyone have any dashcam footage that might help their case? Some dashcams record sound and some record the interior view also. Sound frightening. Would definitely make me think twice about a sunroof now.