Help And Advice Plz

babylove67

hi, after some advice if poss, im a woman and don't kno much bout cars, to say the least, i own a bmw 323i convertible, not that this will make a difference to the problem, i was driving home today, stuck behind someone on a 50mph rd doin 25 :( so decided wen it was clear to over take, i started to over take and my car more or less refused to gain speed which was very worrying, my foot was flat to the floor (i did just get past the slow driver) the car didn't rev any higher than about 2,000 revs, i just made it home, hubby tried it wen he came home, took it up the road the same thing happened, then wen we got bk, he sat in it on the drive, reved it, it sort of reved then stalled, :( any advice would be greatfully accept and any idea's on cost, i paid £1,750 for the car, so wondering is it worth paying out, after having 2 ball joints done, 3 new tyres and brake pads replaced for the mot 3 wks ago, thank u in advance :)

The car has gone into limp mode to protect itself from any damage to the engine. I'm surprised you haven't had a warning light come up on the dash to say there is a problem.

It could be a number of things so would best find a good local indy garage and get them to read the codes. It could well be a simple issue such as a sensor but without reading the fault codes you could spend a load trying to guess what the issue is.

• Like 1

took my car to the mechanic on wednesday, he said he's ring me on thursaday, but didn't here from him, although i know he is very busy, or that it is goin to be so expensive that he doesn't kno how to tell me lol, i hope il find out tomoro as to what the problem is :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

got my car bk last sunday, it was something to do with the exhaust, sort of got itv sorted for the time being, will need a new exhaust by the next mot, but for now im happy driving around sounding like a boyracer :) n she goes quite well now :) xx

well iv had my car bk nearly 3 wks, it ran well for the 1st 4 day's since then it has got worse n worse, it started off wen i went to reverse it would stall, now it's doin it almost every time i get in to start her up, if im not sittin with my foot on the gas she is stalling almost immediatly, really fed up, wen she was at the mechanic the other wk, i got the impression he basically emptied the exhaust, of the honeycomb, ?? etc, thank u for an more advice, really thinking bout gettin another car as don't kno if it's worth throwing money at my girl, got my heart set on another bmw x

• 2 weeks later...

well so after my car being bk at the mechanic, yet again, it appears that the manifold has gone, whatever that is, can anyone tell me is it an expensive job, and is it worth doin on a t reg, BMW, the engine is as solid as a rock, but as iv said before, how much money do i throw at it before saying that's it :'( xx thank u for any advice

• 3 weeks later...

Thank u, my car has now been off the road for about the last 2 mths on n off,     :( the mechanic finally got bk t me, going t set me bk about another 200, don't care if I get the car bk on the road more annoyed bout paying tax n insurance for a car I'm not using, once the exhaust has been sorted I need to find someone who can replace the roof as it leaks like hell, not having much luck with her to b honest, but the engine is solid so I assume she's worth keeping, n spending some money on, not cost me anything In the 2yrs iv had her up till now, thank for that anyway xx

thank u i hope it gets sorted to, as iv not got the car at home at the mo, i can't remember the mileage, but got to be at least 120,000,  do u know if i actually pay to hav a new roof done would it stop the leak, because it has no frame round the side windows, the rain comes in each corner of the windscreen where it meets the side windows, :(, i love the car n so want to get it bk on the road :), iv  found out since i put the origional post on that it's the inlet manifold that needs replaceing, so still gona cost mea couple of hundred pounds, thanks for replying bk

• 1 month later...

well i finally got my car bk, unfortuantly iv got to sell it, the mechanic, did the job that needed sorting no problem, but in the process iv was told yesterday wen i got it bk that the vanos is on it's way out, it's still driveable,etc, but i cannot afford to fix it, :( xx