Convertible Hood On Bmw 650I Sport Coupe

aem10

I own a BMW 650i Sport Coupe. I bought it new in August 2007 and since then it's only done 27k miles.

I've had no problems with it all until August 2013 when one morning I took it out of my garage and proceeded to lower the convertible hood. The windows started to lower,as is normal,BUT then the process stopped and a message appeared on the computer:

SOFT TOP NOT LOCKED

At the same time,the screen above the steering column showed a graphic of the roof in red and a red flashing light appeared on one of the indicators below the computer screen.

As I was due to take the car abroad in the next few days and BMW could not fit me in for repair,a mechanic I know fiddled with the roof and managed to clear the fault but with no exact science used!! The fault re-occurred whilst away but cleared itself and that has been the routine since August 2013. The fault re-occurs and then clears itself. I took the car to my local BMW dealership repair dept this last July because even after a year the fault kept re-occurring. However,by the time I'd arrived at the dealership,the fault had righted itself and the roof was fine. They kept it for a week but the fault would NOT re-occur. I took it back from them and then went abroad again with the car and,of course,the roof fault started again but,again,it righted itself. Whilst away,this happened 2 or 3 times and has just happened again in the last few days.

I'm concerned about this because BMW themselves seem never to have experienced this problem. They were very quick to warn me of the potential enormous financial cost of looking into a problem which is not clearly apparent.

Have any of you who've owned a soft top coupe experienced such a problem and do you have any advice or possible route toward a solution?

Thanks

aem10

Hi Anthony,

Sorry to hear about this matey. Sorry i'm not much help with a car of that year and that amount of tech inside but i'm sure someone else will be along soon to throw their 2pence into the mix

Best of luck,

DAz

• 1 year later...

I have started having the same identical problem with my 2007 650i convertible.  Was there ever a solution found for this problem?  It has been happening more frequently in the last few months.