Shock Absorber 728I E38 (W)

poshbloke

Hi

Anyone know about replacing these? I had one go last year, my garage sucked their teeth a bit and charged me £325 for replacing the n/s/r shock. Said they had to take the whole of the back apart and it was a nightmare job.

FF to this year and n/s/r shock gets pulled in my other car (not a BMW) which is only 4 yrs old. The garage again suck their teeth, then the bill comes in at 275. I get the same story about having to dismantle the whole of the interior upholstery etc.........

I checked the price of the newer one out with the main dealer who said it would be MUCH LESS... so now I'm wondering if the garage, who have previously seemed fine, yanked my chain on the BMW shock too.

Any thoughts?

You do have to remove the rear seats, c-pillar trims & parcel shelf to access the nuts that hold the top mount for the shock. £325 doesn't seem a complete rip-off although I always do my own work so I'm well out of touch with garage prices.....

It's difficult to compare the same job on 2 different makes of car & prices will vary accordingly. Ignore anything a main dealer says, they are the biggest rip-off merchants out there!

Thing is you should really have both done at the same time as 1), it's good practice & 2), they will have to pull it all out again to do the o/s when that fails!

• 4 years later...

I’ve changed my suspension/ absorber of my E65 to Titan Suspension recently. Is better than I expected, especially going through fast and tight corners with high speed. It still provides good comfort and stability. If you have trouble with your old suspension, this would be a good alternative for you to look for.