pony tony

Trans Failsafe Prog.

hi there fellow 8ters and fellow beemers.my car is a bmw 840ci,1996 with tiptronic box.got a problem with my gear box. recently noticed that my gear indicator on the dash had a small delay in showing 'P'. didn't think much of it.car still started and drove fine. yesterday morning got in the car turned the ignition on and nothing came up at all. gear display showed nothing. turn the key to start the car,engine turned over but wouldn't fire up and hay presto i got 'trans failsafe prog' come up on my computer display.i,ve checked all the connections to the gearbox and for any leaks. all is fine. if i was to guess at a possible fault i think it may be the transmission control module. can anyone confirm this or suggest any other possible fault. thanks. hope to here from you.

hi. thanks for the reply. my mate has got a code reader,but he's on holiday till 12th august. :( . gonna try the old disconnect the batteries wait 30 seconds and reconnect job.

lol has that ever worked for anybody???? Mate its an 840 not a 1994 1.2 Corsa, you really do need to get somebody with a launch reader get the codes read then work from there, a mobile mechanic may charge around £60 but you wont be guessing and not making matters worse!!!

Stephen

well what do you know. it worked. don't know how long it will last. at least car is running ok for now. thanks. :)

Result. I hope it stays that way.

Hi fellow be beemers. My failsafe programme returned. After a few attempts of trying to figure out the problem including changing the batteries I discovered the fault. As I moved the right side battery the fault cleared. Moved it again and it returned. So I checked the four red wires for a  break. The thin red wire has a metal link in it. One of the rivets was loose. When I wiggled it the failsafe returned. Hay presto. So I compressed the rivet. Taped it up with electric tape. Then taped it to one of the thick red wires to secure it further. Problem solved. Not had a problem since. The tiny movement must of been detected by the computer maybe. Or the thin red wire might be the live wire for the transmission ecu. Not sure but it's fixed.