Folding Mirror Problems

Chrisw4266

Hi as per the title I have a problem with the folding mirrors on my '53 plate X5 3.0i. They fold in when pressing the button but fold straight back out again. I've read a bit about a faulty micro switch in the mirrors. Has anyone had a go at repairing this fault ? Or does anyone have a guide of how to remove the mirror casing?

Cheers Chris.

Do a search on You Tube there are several Videos on how to dis-assemble and fix the door mirrors

A fiddly job mine was one of the mounting pins broken I drilled it and glued a replacement in place been fine for 6 months.

If one mirror is broken it affects both

Thanks grey dog I think the fault is on the passenger mirror as it's a little loose when open. I've read if they get knocked it can mess up the stop points on the folding system. As there's a slight mark on the casing I think that's what's happened.

I'll have a look at weekend and see what's broken.

Did the repair yesterday and found the passenger side metal arm had come off the micro switch, refitted and re-shaped both arms on the micro switches, all working now. Hardest part is removing the mirror casing. Thanks for the advice nice easy FREE repair.

However I've found an oil leak from the oil filter housing which is pretty bad, done some reading up and seems it's fairly common. Anyone done this repair?

• 5 years later...

I have a 2005 BMW X5 with folding mirror problems . The micro switch on the left mirror was broken, I replaced the mirror with anew mirror from KOOL-VUE--no fix. So I replaced the right mirror with  mirror from KOOL-VUE-- still the same problem. Checking on the function of the micro switch, I found on the original mirror the micro switch is on-off- on as the mirror is moved from the normal position to the park position. The KOOL- VUE is on- off as you move it. Does anyone have any info on how the micro switch should function? Does anyone have any experience with KOOL-VUE? It is made in China and they have no tech support. Please help.   Huba

Clearly from your answer you know what your doing and I don't. So crack on son with your cheap Chinese mirrors that won't work unless yo modify them may as well have searched a little and brought new micro switches for the old mirrors?

As an old fool who knows nothing  I changed my micro switches and by adding a small circuit (my design) so my mirrors open on unlock and close on lock but still have the button function if needed.but then I did do that 10 years ago when I added CCFL halo's and see you home lights as well

Greydog, you got me wrong. I don't know what I'm doing, I'm just trying to clarify why you say to reverse polarity since I believe the switch is just "on"  "off".  I also didn't know  you could buy the micro switches separately. The left hand mirror was trash anyway.. So help me to finish this mess please, the cheap Chinese mirrors won't fix themselves.  Thanks,  Huba

Your Chinese switches will be probably have 3 wires the function of the 2 wire switch in your original mirrors registers the parking position at extent of travel only back to the mirror controller.

If you are very lucky you may by testing discover if you can get the same signal function by trying combinations of two wires on the new mirrors but without knowing what spec the switch is it would be speculation. As would swapping switches from the old mirrors to new, mounting will probably be different. I brought micro switches which matched the original switches from Maplins, I know they are gone now but radio shack or similar will surely help. My switches were £3 each back when I brought them, I did have a problem with a broken mounting pin in the mounting cover I fixed that by drilling and a small screw and some super glue as insurance.

As I said I also added a small circuit with 2 relays and a timer relay which gives me fold on lock and unfold on unlock. 

Test the switch it will be (a) normally open or (b) normally closed then check against your original switches. Check the original switch, from memory they are normally open and when at their extent of travel (Mirror Out) give a Ground signal. At extent of travel (Mirror Closed) no signal. Both door mirrors have to provide the same signal via the bus system to the Control module or they won't work and the default is open. Your car at 2005 should be Ibus (Coms) and Kbus communication between modules, later cars are Most bus so signal values are completely different. Are the new mirrors for a newer model? Your car mirrors are linked through the (a) drivers door window control module (b) seat memory adjustment module to (c) the ZKE general control module, is the drivers door module OK is the seat control module functioning correctly? Dumb question there is power to the door mirrors? 

Have a look at www.newtis.info for wiring diagrams but without knowing how the new mirrors are configured we are just "guessing" which is not good. Personally I would take out one of the original switches get the part number from it plus any other ID marks and try people like Radio Shack or RS components (Maplins aren't around any more) even the switch manufactures and get replacements they wont be expensive and you will be able to get them working. Send the others back and ask for your money back or sell them on. Probably not what you want to hear but that would be my course of action.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 1:14 AM, Greydog said:

Test the switch it will be (a) normally open or (b) normally closed then check against your original switches. Check the original switch, from memory they are normally open and when at their extent of travel (Mirror Out) give a Ground signal. At extent of travel (Mirror Closed) no signal. Both door mirrors have to provide the same signal via the bus system to the Control module or they won't work and the default is open. Your car at 2005 should be Ibus (Coms) and Kbus communication between modules, later cars are Most bus so signal values are completely different. Are the new mirrors for a newer model? Your car mirrors are linked through the (a) drivers door window control module (b) seat memory adjustment module to (c) the ZKE general control module, is the drivers door module OK is the seat control module functioning correctly? Dumb question there is power to the door mirrors? 

Have a look at www.newtis.info for wiring diagrams but without knowing how the new mirrors are configured we are just "guessing" which is not good. Personally I would take out one of the original switches get the part number from it plus any other ID marks and try people like Radio Shack or RS components (Maplins aren't around any more) even the switch manufactures and get replacements they wont be expensive and you will be able to get them working. Send the others back and ask for your money back or sell them on. Probably not what you want to hear but that would be my course of action.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:14 AM, Greydog said:

Greydog,   Thanks for all the help! I think the problem is in the stationary part that opens and closes the micro switch.  The original micro switch is open-- closed---open. The Chinese mirror micro is open---closed. I have concluded per your advice and research to dump the Chinese mirrors and find some good used originals and start over. Many thanks again for your input.  Huba

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links