Calling All Pre-Lci E60 520D/525D/530D Owners! Advice Please

gazzdid

Hi all

I'm looking at buying a pre-LCI 5 series (E60) and I'm chasing my tail trying to decide which engine to go for.

I do a fair amount of miles (my commute is 46 mile round trip plus family days out etc) so economy is handy which was steering me towards the 520d but I will be using it to tow a large caravan so I then leaned more towards the 525d. Then I was told there's not a lot of difference in mpg between the 2.5 and the 3.0 so I've been looking at those. In fact I test drove one today and its fair to say I'm smitten!

Very nice to drive and plenty of power!

So my question Is this....

What mpg are you guys getting out of yours? What are you getting General nipping about and what are you getting on long runs?

And if anyone has experience towing with them then great!

Also I've been told that the 2.5d is a terrible engine (the guy who told me this described it as the worst bmw have made??) And he seemed to think there is a big problem with the timing chain? Seeing as I've not been able to find anything to support this (in fact all I can find is how great they are!) I'm guessing the guy is talking out of his backside? I'd just like to put it to the board though and see what your opinions are

Thanks in advance

Gazz

gazz. the tuning cost me £250.00 but that was a special price and a few of us had it done at the same time. it boosts the HP to around 290bhp and the torque to 490nm. all this means the engine doesn't work as hard and I defo saw a increase in consumption by about 6mpg average. if i drive like a nun I can get 55mpg at a steady 65 but normal driving I average around the 40-42 mpg on each tank depending on my journey type.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...