5 Months Of Driving A 728I E38

poshbloke

Hi all

Sorry I've not been about for a a while! I thought I'd update on the W Reg 728i you all convinced me to buy in January this year. I've done about 4k miles and thought I'd give some feedback for those thinking of buying!

I do mainly round town but some motorways and am getting about 24mpg around the suburbs and 33mpg on a decent run. Fuel costs are therefore not even 20% more than my modern diesel Saab, whichI thought was amazing. I have got 500miles out of £100 of fuel in the BMW. The sport setting gets rid of fuel quickly but it's a lot of fun and a very good way to get out of trouble.

I've had an oil service and nothing else, which cost about £80, including a thorough check over and the garage said I had a great car! The PAS reservoir appears to leak but takes 2 months before any problems show (car groans as it steers) and apparrently it's just some hoses that need sorting, although that could be a little tricky according to the garage.

I've not changed the air filters yet, even though I meant to, I will do that soon. Anyone want to give me some tips on where to get them? I think it's an easy job but I still can't find a workshop manual for this car, sadly.

One great feature is the moving seats, I don't know what it's called but the driver and passenger seats move and moblises the spine whilst I drive. It really does make a difference.

AC is very cold, although does make a faint but funny sound so I'll get that looked at when I do the hoses above.

other than that, it's so comfortable and so nice to drive. My only regret is not buying one sooner! And I am wondering about a 740.......!! I did see an 750 V12 which was beautiful but I bet that would just drive from one petrol station to another!

Thanks for all your support guys! Hope we can do a meet somewhere near me sometime!

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, just in case you are tempted by the larger Beemer , I have a 1998 V12 LHD 750i . The obvious flagship model and the most expensive with every extra known to man in 1998 , tv, sat nav, telephone, etc etc. however the Mpg around town is only 16.5 !!

Fortunately, I use it as a holiday car in Marbella so I am reasonably relaxed about the fuel consumption with the low miles, its still worth it for a brilliant , if ageing, beast.

Hi all

Sorry I've not been about for a a while! I thought I'd update on the W Reg 728i you all convinced me to buy in January this year. I've done about 4k miles and thought I'd give some feedback for those thinking of buying!

I do mainly round town but some motorways and am getting about 24mpg around the suburbs and 33mpg on a decent run. Fuel costs are therefore not even 20% more than my modern diesel Saab, whichI thought was amazing. I have got 500miles out of £100 of fuel in the BMW. The sport setting gets rid of fuel quickly but it's a lot of fun and a very good way to get out of trouble.

I've had an oil service and nothing else, which cost about £80, including a thorough check over and the garage said I had a great car! The PAS reservoir appears to leak but takes 2 months before any problems show (car groans as it steers) and apparrently it's just some hoses that need sorting, although that could be a little tricky according to the garage.

I've not changed the air filters yet, even though I meant to, I will do that soon. Anyone want to give me some tips on where to get them? I think it's an easy job but I still can't find a workshop manual for this car, sadly.

One great feature is the moving seats, I don't know what it's called but the driver and passenger seats move and moblises the spine whilst I drive. It really does make a difference.

AC is very cold, although does make a faint but funny sound so I'll get that looked at when I do the hoses above.

other than that, it's so comfortable and so nice to drive. My only regret is not buying one sooner! And I am wondering about a 740.......!! I did see an 750 V12 which was beautiful but I bet that would just drive from one petrol station to another!

Thanks for all your support guys! Hope we can do a meet somewhere near me sometime!

Cheers

Paul

I love hearing positive feedback! Glad you are enjoying her

I had a 728i E38 for a while this year and like you, I love it. Would buy one again but would want the 4.4 V8. That is not to say the 2.8 I6 doesn't do the trick! o'boy it does!

Any problems in the future, we are always around and it would be nice to see you around a little more often! Get some pics up bud...

Daz

Thanks Daz - yes I will do! I'll get it valeted first! Kids wreck it within minutes of getting in!

Radioman - maybe one day, probably in similar circumstances when I buy my chateau (shed) in France. I expect it brings a lot of joy!

Hi Paul, just in case you are tempted by the larger Beemer , I have a 1998 V12 LHD 750i . The obvious flagship model and the most expensive with every extra known to man in 1998 , tv, sat nav, telephone, etc etc. however the Mpg around town is only 16.5 !!

Fortunately, I use it as a holiday car in Marbella so I am reasonably relaxed about the fuel consumption with the low miles, its still worth it for a brilliant , if ageing, beast.

16.5MPG around town. That is FANTASTIC for a V12.

I got 17.5MPG in the 728i around town...

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

Great feedback on a great car ;)

Pollen filters are in bonnet, air filter in a box (get an induction one!) and the oil filter is a piece of piss too !

AC - That'll be the compressor clutch, press some grease into it (not on the belt!) :)

Love them motors... My lifetime ambition would be to obtain the very last B12 Alpina off the production line ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links