Frustration With Diesel Carbon Bld

Balzep

Not quite sure where to start and do not want this to sound like a downer on the X3 because I actually like it - just plagued by the carbon/crud build up problem (I think).

Bought the X3, 2.0 SE diesel in 2006 when 6 months old and had good service from the dealer until the warranty expired, which is when the yellow engine light started to come on and briefly after 3 years of trying to resolve still no success.

Last year spent a fortune replacing various parts that the dealer recommended should be changed - computer diagnostics said so, EGR, sensor valve?, Air mass filter....etc. finally took it to an independent who instantly said the inlet manifold needed cleaning which he duly did. This finally worked for a while but for the last 6 months the light is back....miles per gallon has reduced again to around 25 daily and 45 on a run. Used to do 35 daily when bought.

I've moved to shell v-power and noticed knocking when idling?

My driving pattern probably doesn't help as its mainly 10 miles to work and 10 miles back although I do give it a long run once a month (200 miles) and try and give it a high rev cycle (~4000 revs) for about 10 mins every week.

I'm waiting for something I saw on the web from "power enhancer" BG244 diesel fuel cleaner - I'm not 100% confident this will sort out the problem. I will even start doing more regular oil services myself earlier than the indicator - is there a good step by step guide?

Just looking for guidance on what I can do as I intend to keep the car as its practical and I do like it even though its a hard ride - but really frustrated by this.

I am considering either replacing or cleaning the inlet manifold again - is this something that a practical DIYer can do? If so is there a good step by step guide or can someone help me with a guide.

I used to do most of the engine work myself on my earlier cars many moons ago but have been softened up by the newer cars.

Are there any other products that I could used to clean out the air intake side rather than the fuel end?

Any help or guidance appreciated as I am loathe to go back to the dealer again and the independent although good still wasn't able to resolve this - or am I asking too much?

Cheers and thanks

Hey and welcome to BMWOC

Please introduce yourself in our newbie thread =] ( http://www.bmwownersclub.com/forums/index.php/forum/2-new-members-welcome/ )

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. Kinda defines why even if I had the money for a brand new car (Of any brand) I would stick with my oldies for pretty much this kind of reason.

Removing the intake manifold remains pretty much the same as back when you was tinkering with older cars just more rubbish is now stuck to it like sensors and plastic bits etc... etc.. At the end of the day, "Nuts and bolts.... Nuts and bolts...". Best to clean it with some Diesel. I often swear by carb/brake cleaner but the intake is most likely made of plastic so, Diesel it is!

If the intake requires cleaning this often, there is something not working or blocked that is suppose to stop "blow-by" which is oil and crap finding it's way UP into the respiratory system of the engine. Diesel engines being of such high compression (Ratios often between 14:1 to 25:1) blow-by is inevitable in most cases compared to a petrol lumps. This will need investigating once shes all taken apart.

It doesn't actually sound like a problem with the intake its self more a sensor sending the wrong information. Hmmmm.

Do what you need to do but keep us posted as we can help!

Daz

Thanks for the prompt reply Daz and your support

Stupid question time: is there such a thing as a step by step guide for working on the X3 diesel, the days of the Haynes manual have gone I presume

Or can you guide me through the process of taking off the inlet manifold?

Alternatively how to take off the sensor and clean it as I remember the dealer this the first time.

Cheers

Not a stupid question at all my friend :D

Like taking off your socks. You simply take them off and to put them back on again, do what you did to put them on but in reverse. Kinda.. Same applies here. Everything is held together with nuts and bolts (As your car being new-ish, you can add horrible plastic clips into the equation). Just document what you take off and catalog everything if you think that you will forget.

To answer your question regarding working on the X3 diesel I shall introduce you to the magic of a BMW. BMW use the same engines but shuv them into new shells. In your case you have an engine from a 1 series, a 3 series and a 5 series =D this is good news for you as the support arch is wide.

You will have an M47 engine in there somewhere covered by stacks of plastic crap :)

The days of haynes isn't exactly gone BUT.. We have something better for you. Check out RealOEM.com. All the info you could need. No words, just detailed drawings. You can re-build an entire engine just from RealOEM (Minus the torque settings)

This link should take you to where you need to be:

http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=PB12&mospid=47789

The sensors should screw into the intake. Remove them and give them a good clean with some diesel (Or Carb cleaner if they look strong enough. Best post a pic here first.....)

Remember. Nuts and bolts....

Daz

• 1 year later...
Carbon build up issues are no more with the aid of a very simple service with hydrogen technology.

I had mine done, it took 30 mins and she ran like a dream.

Cost £70.00 to remove the carbon build up and left my car with a great increase in performance, power and fuel efficiency.

It ran quieter and smoother.

It cleans the carbon from the air intake right through to the exhaust including turbo's, valves, combustion chamber, inlet manifold etc,DPF(if not too far gone), EGR and CATs...

Very effective, cheap and non invasive service.

Hey Lee,

I imagine you are refering to the TerraClean carbon cleaning service becoming quite popular where they screw an automated apparatus to the fuel line and allow the engine to ingest the chemical. Clever stuff.

When this post was made, back in 2012, such service was not really widely available but these days it's a real option.

Daz

Hey Lee,

I imagine you are refering to the TerraClean carbon cleaning service becoming quite popular where they screw an automated apparatus to the fuel line and allow the engine to ingest the chemical. Clever stuff.

When this post was made, back in 2012, such service was not really widely available but these days it's a real option.

Daz

Hi Daz,

No its not Terraclean its a hydrogen product so no chemicals involved.

I could be wrong here but I think Terraclean just cleans the combustion chamber whereas this hydrogen service cleans everywhere the air goes including the turbo, manifold, EGR valve etc,.

Plus its way cheaper lol.

My cars running great since I had it done, much improved performance I must say.

Lee.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links