New Buyer: 530D Vs 530I, Manual Or Auto ?

Jamie91

Hi :)

Long story short my old car (Honda Accord manual diesel) is going to be written off. I'm looking at a 5 series E60/E61. Looking to spend £6-8k

I do 8k miles a year, 2/3 urban, 1/3 motorway. So on the face of it I'd be best suited to petrol. However on autotrader there aren't a great deal of petrol 5s, and those few on there are more pricey than the derv.

I'm leaning towards the 530D at the moment (will test drive both of course). I see that the range was facelifted in 2007, with the power upped from 215 bhp to 230 bhp, and the fuel economy +5MPG.

Is it worth paying ~£8k for a 2007 facelift 530 D over ~£6k for a 2004 pre-facelift 530D ?

Finally auto or manual ? I drive a manual at the moment, but I like the idea of the auto. Does the auto come at a major fuel economy premium to the manual ? Thanks

jamie, if your looking at that age also consider the road tax, if you get a face lifted 55 plate then you have all the benifits of the new look at the cheaper road tax. I have a 530d E61 on a 55 plate and just love it. as for auto or manual, go auto all day and you'll never look back.

jamie, if your looking at that age also consider the road tax, if you get a face lifted 55 plate then you have all the benifits of the new look at the cheaper road tax. I have a 530d E61 on a 55 plate and just love it. as for auto or manual, go auto all day and you'll never look back.

Cheers Simon.

What's the road tax difference between the two then ?

I am leaning more towards auto now :)

Have you thought about remapping yours?

pre 06 is £265 per year and those later are up to £465 per year until you get to the very latest ones. if your looking at around the 2006 version then choose wisely as 1 month difference may be a high price to pay. as for re mapping. mine is done already as had it done soon after i had it. love it and love the mpg.

• 1 year later...