Z3 Leaks

Note to all owners out there I purchased my z3 in November last year which had damp carpets on further investigation I had loads of water underneath a right pain to strip and dry note the soundproofing is attached to carpet and is like a sponge slip your hand between the joint under seat to check all the wiring looms and sensors are under there not good let me know any feedback

• 1 month later...

hi, recently found out that z3,s are prone to leaks on the top corners of screen rubber seal , if you look closely you will find a dimple on each corner. I have been told by another z3 owner that a inner tube patch can be glued here to seal the dimple when the roof is in closed position, not sure if this is your case but might be worth a look....

• 8 months later...

Yes they are prone to leaks, my brother in law had one from new and after 12 months started to show signs of leaks. I have found various things on the tinternet as well.

1. The seals all around require to be treated will silicon spray to help keep them supple and not dry out, these are a known failure and the brother in law had them all replaced.

2. Top of windscreen in the seal of each corner there is a bung which over time the adhesive fails which means when it rains or you wash the car in tracks back and ends up in the car.

3. Poor seal of roof to side window which either is manipulation of seal to get a better fit or reset of door or inbound of glass, with the later requiring the door card to come off and part removel of vapour seal.

4. My water ingress was from a poor vapour seal in the door which allowed water into the car, so I had to take the interior out to dry it due to that much water, the only thing misding was fish there was that much.

5. And goes with out saying taking good care of the roof goes along way.

At the end of the day its a rag top.

Hope some of this helps, I have had mine 6 months now and I have a grin every time I take her out, yes I have had issues with water but hey she is 16 years old so would expect something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ...I have recently purchased a BMW z3 she's 17 yrs old, I have noticed over the last few weeks due to all the rain... Noticed a wet patch behind the drivers side on the back boot space . I've googled a few places in Cornwall that does repairs can anybody give me some more info please I would be most grateful.

You mention back boot space, are you meaning the area the roof folds into if so in that area both sides are drain holes to take away water from the roof, if they become blocked the water ends up in the area I think you talking about. The drain holes require unblocking.

• 1 month later...

Im new. I've had mine for the past 7 years and the leaking has been visible for the past 2 years. The boot is always flooded after it rains (no idea where it seeps in) and there is a space above the windows and corners of the wind screen (where the soft top hooks in). I was wondering for the latter might it have anything to do with the tension of the soft top i.e over time the wires stretching the soft top need be replaced or something? Please advise how to solve this - the wife using the car now and she's not very happy....

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links